How Do Professionals Clean Appliances After Plainsboro Fire Damage?
SERVPRO technicians using proprietary cleaners and careful techniques remove even protein-based residues after a kitchen fire in Plainsboro
The residues remaining after fire damage in your Plainsboro kitchen are incredibly tricky to remove. Protein-based soot is a tremendously adhesive substance consisting of dehydrated oils, fats, and other foodstuffs. It is transparent and highly malodorous because of the rancid fats. It is tough to get past the memory of your kitchen fire without deep cleaning your appliances, so professionals like SERVPRO work hard to find a solution.
Can Homeowners Successfully Clean Up Kitchen Fire Damaged Surfaces?
Many of the materials used to craft today’s appliances are durable, impervious to damage from most water-based detergents cleaners. Unfortunately, the protein-based soot does not readily dissolve or dislodge water-based products, complicating the cleaning routine.
How Do SERVPRO Technicians Overcome the Challenge of Water-Resistant Kitchen Fire Soot?
An option to strip protein-based residues from appliances is to increase the pH of the cleaning solution. A more alkaline product can help break the bond between the residue and the appliance. Care must be taken to avoid skin or eye contact during the process. It is also possible to harm surrounding surfaces:
- The technician cleaning must wear gloves and goggles.
- Be discrete when spraying the solution to minimize spread to porous or delicate surfaces.
- Some appliance finishes (aluminum and chrome) can be pit if the cleaner exceeds the appropriate dwell time.
- Shiny or polished surfaces can scratch when using abrasives.
- Brief use of wood cream paste (used for wood refinishing) is an alternative to other abrasives, reducing yellowing caused by heat.
- Rinsing the cleaning products and polishing them with lint-free towels is the final step.
Trust the experts at SERVPRO of East Brunswick / Princeton Meadows when your gourmet kitchen appliances need careful yet persistent cleaning to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Call (732) 307-9665 to learn how we can return your damaged kitchen to the heart of your house.